Thursday, March 29, 2012

People Change

   I was visiting with some good friends of mine today and, while there, I realized something about myself. I have become a completely different person. By chance, we had a brief conversation about how different we are but it was something else that made my changes stand out to me.
   My friend went into the kitchen to warm up a bottle for her son, who was laying on the couch next to me. When her baby started to fuss, I immediately reached over and picked him up. I cuddled him in my arms, held him close to my chest and talked to him. That is when I noticed how different I am.
   I have always loved children. I love to talk with them and play around. I love their imaginations and their games. However, I have never been a baby person. Babies freaked me out, including my first niece and my friends' children. I had no idea how to change a diaper, soothe a crying baby or even the proper way to hold one. I would avoid any child younger than 2 years old. I gravitated toward any child who could tell me what they wanted and whom I could touch without feeling like I was going to break them.
   I know that my big change comes from having children of my own. When I had Paige at 20, my Mom still had to teach me how to change her diaper. She taught me how to hold her and I had to learn ways to soothe her. I can honestly say that I am still not a 'baby person'. I do not coo at strangers babies nor do I stop to look at them. I'm sure that many people have found me very rude because I do not compliment their baby even though they are fawning over mine. I do not want to be rude at all but the thought to even look at their baby, much less compliment them, never even crosses my mind. However, I am now more than willing to help my friends. I now understand how wonderful it is to have a break from motherhood, even if it is a few short minutes of someone comforting your baby long enough for you to warm up a bottle.
   I can say with confidence, that I will never be a 'baby person' but I adore my nieces and nephew and I love to help my friends with their children. I wish I could do it more often!

No comments:

Post a Comment